This is the beginning of a new series called “Handheld Storytelling” brought to you by Tristan Pope Photography: http://tristanpope.com
In this episode we look at the top 3 Handheld Electronic 3 Axis Gimbal Stabilizers for Smartphones!
Shown in this video are:
Ikan Fly X3 Plus 3:20
Pros: Gun handle Grip, Carrying Case, Large Battery, Good Feedback in the handle, Padding for the phone.
Cons: Has trouble with any attachments with the supplied counterbalance using the iPhone 6S and cannot balance the iPhone 6S PLUS with supplied balance with any attachments, often fails out of balance with quick motions or randomly when the gears lock up. Loud operating noise. Pretty rugged, but seems the gears get a louder the longer you have it. Only one button operation On and Off no extra tilt or pan features.
Feiyu Tech G4 8:48
Pros: Very small, solid build, upside down filming, extendable battery and extension rods, can hold attachments placed on the iPhone 6S, very strong motor for fast and quick motions.
Cons: Only one button operation, no tilt up or tilt down features. Can only hold the iPhone 6S. The gears seem to struggle the more extensions you place on the rig, which will shake your phone and footage.
Zhiyun Z1-Smooth 15:50
Pros: Strongest motor of the three, can have a ton of additional weight added to the provided counterbalance to balance an iPhone 6S plus with ANY attachments(which means the iPhone 6S can add even more, Easy upside down shooting without the need to set a mode for it, Additional panning and tilting via a 3 button system, strong clamp to hold your phone in place, Solid build, extendable battery and extension rods available, as well as a bluetooth remote! Silent operation.
Cons: None, this one truly has it all feature wise.
Prices have changed since this video was made: the Zhiyun and Feiyu Tech are 50+$ cheaper than the Ikan now.
Stay tuned for more episodes, if you would like us to review your equipment please contact email@example.com!
Shot by App Develope George Spyros using Filmakr: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filmakr-manual-video-camera/id412138549?mt=8
Shot on iPhones utilizing the beastgrip and the stabilizers.
I have been running the same setup for hand held camera support systems for a few years now. I figured, hey if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Oh boy, I couldn’t have been more wrong. To me it is extremely important to have a hand strap for my camera, I rarely have the “Canon Strap” around my neck and have very steady hands so I just need something to attach that camera to my hand without any fear of it losing its grip. So I bought a cheap Amazon hand strap and stuck it over the normal Canon neck strap, just to have the option to hang it around my neck during breaks.
Problem is breaks are supposed to give you a… wait for it… break. My neck was telling me a different story. Especially for on location shoots, behind the scenes, and other shoots that I could be lifting my camera up to my face more than 1000 times in a 15 hour day. Also my hand strap had a tendency to cut into my hand too roughly. But what did I expect for a few bucks… But come on I use these things constantly why hadn’t I invested?!?!
Well let me tell you about my new setup and why I think this system is pretty much my last stop shop for camera support from now on…
Not only are these made out of quality materials and sturdy as all getup, they provide a comfort level with their cushy neoprene padding with binding. When this thing goes around my hand or my shoulder, I can feel the grip holding it in place and there is no indents left in my hands afterwards. I could use this for hours without getting fatigue and that is KEY. For me I was always getting pains.
Here are the tech specs for the Strap system:
- Split Strap Technology™: Distributes weight evenly to reduce pain/fatigue and provides superior ventilation
- Camera sits at your side and glides up the strap, allowing you to take pictures quickly
- Unique Ergonomic Design: Conforms to shoulder for unparalleled comfort
- Swiveling Quick Release Buckles: Rotates for maximum flexibility and detaches for increased mobility
- Silicone Print: Reduces slippage
- High Quality Material and Construction: Cushy neoprene padding with binding
So not only are you rocking some amazing quality products you get the support you need and a cool form factor to boot. (Gotta look cool when you shoot too!)
Here is my instagram version of looking cool:
But let’s talk about ease of use: These have multiple disconnect points for your tripod or mono pod if you need to get it on it quickly as well as a quick release on the strap itself to free yourself of the shoulder strap. Genius.
I combined the strap with the hand grip and my biggest gripe with my old hand grip was when I put a Tripod or Monopod into it, getting out our required serious effort or pliers. This has a dual system screw so you never get stuck, literally. Attaching the glide one shoulder strap does take away your ability to put it on a monopod quickly, but they have adapters for situations like that where you can have all of these together with a plate that can also have a spot for a tripod/monopod. For my needs, I just disconnect the shoulder strap if I go with that system and it works great! Having the hand strap with a monopod is what I need anyway!
Here are some closeups of the hand grip with the glide one strap system attached:
Tech Specs for the Hand Grip:
- Compatible with Custom SLR C-Loop Strap Mounts
- Ergonomic fit and design
- Silicone prints on the back for better grip
- Made from a comfortable neoprene material
- Works with most SLR cameras with hand strap mount or battery grip
The best part of this for me was no longer needing to release my hand strap to get to the battery. This has enough room to just pull it right out!
Overall this thing is built tough, comfortable, has a cool C-Loop which according to their website provides all of this:
- Eliminate Strap Interference: Quicker access, flexibility and improved handling.
- Smooth Rotation: The C-Loop swivels 360 degrees to reduce tangling and for smooth panning
- Low Profile: Makes it easier to transition from landscape to portrait shots
- Increased Security: Lens comfortably tucks away making mobility easy in tight or crowded areas
- Compatibility: Works with existing camera straps and all devices with a tripod mount
And according to my tests it is extremely accurate.
- Easy to attach and detach from the camera both the shoulder system and hand strap
- Sold durable materials
- Great adjustment tools
- Looks cool
- Takes the weight off your neck
- Allows for an easy quick shoot approach
- The C-Loop for no tangled messes
- Cannot use the shoulder strap and the C-loop with a tripod or monopod without a third attachment plate.
- A little bit too much legnth on the original strap requiring you to cut and burn the edges to not have it hanging all over the place. A cable management for this would have been more ideal so not to have to cut it and regret it if you ever needed it to be longer.
Overall: I give this product a 5 out of 5 because of it’s affordable price, build quality, and overall health benefits to using it on a regular basis. I used this for a 6 hour on location shoot and not once did I get that neck pain I am so used to. So in my eyes it worth every penny just for that.
Check out all they have to offer at: http://www.customslr.com/
They also threw in an extra bonus of some ProDot Shutter Button Upgrade
They are cool, but not for my taste. I like to feel the smooth button versus the grip for that perfect half push lock focus. It was harder with this attached to the camera. But hey, it was an extra and some people may like them.